A whole new adventure...

An expression of my thoughts and feelings on my OT journey, both personal and professsional.

Wednesday 14 November 2012

Rant

Its so frustrating to be running parent workshops all day and incredibly poor attendance from parents. Out of 11 people over 2 works shops 3 turn up. One comes with a child and speaking little English and had to be re booked. 1 parent per session. 2 OTs. What a waste of time and money! Kids could have had sessions during this time, 2 therapists definitely weren't needed.

It's also very frustrating to be presenting and a parent asks a question and the scenario plays out something like this:
Parent: my child has problems with x and does y currently I do z to deal with this. What do you recommend?
OT student: long and detailed answer referring to handouts, presentation slides, equipment catalogues and research evidence.
Parent: *looks at OT for answer, ignoring what student has said*
OT: *repeats what's student said practically word for word*

Addionally why ask if I have children and then disregard what I've said because I informed you that no, I don't have children, as at 21 and in full time education, with no income, that would be a pretty foolish and selfish position to put myself in. BUT I have spent near on 3 years studying all of this, as the title 'student OT' implies. And yes, I do know about handwriting, psychology, posture, behaviour, movement, conditions, self care etc because its WHAT OTS DO. (Also, btw, you listen to a teacher with little  education in all of these areas, who is probably a little older than me and not got children themselves, but not me, seriously?? Smart move *thumbs up*)

Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Labels: , , , ,